Wednesday, August 11, 2010

This doesn't feel like Kansas anymore

I'm surrounded by cornfields.

48 hours ago I was pulling weeds out of my garden. At the time, I was sort of thinking that I should be packing some bags to ready ourselves a little more for our trip but I had some not-entirely-necessary tasks around the house I wanted to try to accomplish before Baby Girl arrives. So the garden was given priority. How much effort would it really take to pack the car when the time came anyway?

Silly me.

A phone call from our birthmother on Monday. Induction date has been moved up. Could we come out to Indiana sooner? How soon? Wednesday soon.

Cue bags flying into car.

Fourteen hours of driving later, here we are. I've been living in denial long enough. The countdown to Baby has started and it's not stopping now. The boys did great on the trip (thanks to an extra special treat of a portable DVD player.) Along the way, we discussed names. Heaven help us, but we can't decide! Oh, we have a list (a long list) and we tried to vote on the options...DH coming up with an algorithm to rank them. But it is a daunting task. It's not like we haven't had 12 years+ to discuss possible girl names if we were ever so blessed. Problem is, there are so many great names and great saints we want to honor...not enough daughters! I think we need to see and hold her to before we'll settle on a name. That and pray to the Holy Spirit for guidance.

She goes into the hospital tonight for cervidil treatment and the induction with pitocin will begin in the morning. She has asked to see us and the boys before going into the hospital. Perhaps to further her resolve? Perhaps to remind herself of that family that Baby Girl will be going to? Perhaps just to meet the boys? In any case, we are here and waiting for her call when she is ready to see us. We have not been invited to be with her in the delivery room tomorrow and I'm totally ok with that. Having the boys with us now would make that logistically difficult and frankly, I think it would be awkward for me.

In the mean time, a hotel bed never felt so good. We're going to enjoy our last good night's sleep immensely.

Tomorrow is the big day. And ironically is also DH's 34th birthday. :)

20 comments:

Chasing said...

Yea! How exciting! I love the bit about the algorithm, my husband would like do the same thing!

Karey said...

Wow!! It must all be so exciting!! I'll be praying everything goes smoothly and everyone's healthy. Can't wait to hear more!!!

Grace in my Heart said...

YAY! You all are in my prayers!! What an exciting time!! Keep us updated!

WheelbarrowRider said...

What a whirlwind! Happy birthday, dh! Neither of my sisters knew the name of their children going into the hospital, but they figured it out and so will you! So happy for your growing family!

some how, some way, some day said...

How exciting! I'll be praying for a smooth delivery and a healthy baby. Can't wait to hear that your baby girl has arrived!

taramarissa said...

I am so excited for you guys, and my eyes just teared up when I read that dad & daughter will likely share a birthday. How cool.

Little JoAnn said...

Beautiful, meant to be. So, exciting for everyone. Enjoy this precious time. Love the post. You described it perfectly, Keep us posted!

... said...

I've got goosebumps I'm so excited for you!

mrsblondies said...

So exciting! I can't wait for the next update! Praying for all of you!

T said...

So excited for you and your family!

Leila@LittleCatholicBubble said...

Oh, I can hardly stand it! So excited for you! Will be praying for everyone involved!!!

Sew said...

SO EXCITING!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to see her sweet face!


Ummm, would you mind sharing that list with me. Me and DH are battling Hannah Grace, he isn't digging it?! What?! ;)

Amazing Life said...

How exciting! We are definitely praying and can't wait to see your new daughter :)

Blessed and Broken said...

I just held a 6lb newborn tonight. I can't wait to here the news you are holding yours!!

Lauren @ Magnify the Lord with Me said...

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!! I was logging on to tell YOU that OUR induction was moved up to tomorrow, too!!!!!!!! What in the world! It really IS a race! :)

How incredible to know that we're praying for each other during htis time.

Kaitlin @ More Like Mary said...

This i wonderful!!! I'm on pins and needles!

Amy @ This Cross I Embrace said...

AND ironically, now it is falling WITHIN the time of Prayer Buddies!!!


I am so excited for your little girl! :)

Meg @ True, Good and Beautiful said...

So exciting! Can't wait to hear more!

Brit said...

How exciting!! Praying for you all! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't believe it's happening! You're going to have a daughter!!!

Happy Birthday to your DH :)