Last week I celebrated my 33rd birthday. The day started with my dog running away, Mr Mike and the boys sick on the couches and the arrival of AF. The dog came back a few hours later and I enjoyed having my husband around the house to chat with, even if he did drift in and out of a Ny.Quil-induced coma. But the heavy heart hung around for days.
These words ring in my head and offer solace:
The greater the self-giving, the greater the love.But a heavy heart is just sometimes made heavier simply because you're reminded of it when you least expect it. Like at the Urgent Care the other night--I received a tick bite on my ear while on a hike which developed into cellulitis--I had to answer the "are you pregnant or any chance you could be" question multiple times before they'd Rx me the necessary prophylactic antibiotic. I swallowed down the lump in my throat and answered, "no".
But on the other hand, at least I was eligible for the antibiotic which will (hopefully) prevent me from developing Ly.me's.
Moving on...all three boys were struck down with the swine flu last week. Somehow, I managed to escape the sickness--perhaps it's the megadoses of Vitamin D I'm taking in my fermented cod liver oil. Regardless, it was a very good thing as someone had to remain standing. Everyone came through it fine and no worse for the wear.
This week, DH started a new job. He wasn't even looking to leave his old job but he was offered a fantastic opportunity (both professionally and personally) to start working as a software developer for a contract company. The job comes with a small salary increase and served as a confirmation for me that I should not return to work (good thing, as I just filed my nursing license officially as inactive).
We got a minivan. Lord help me...I'm driving an 8-passenger vehicle. We have no business in my mind driving around a vehicle that has so much room and intended for a large family. I resisted, really I did and we certainly weren't looking for another vehicle. I do miss my SUV but I am grateful for the great price we got on a newer vehicle with far fewer miles to drive around. And being about to sell my beloved VUE on Craigslist.
I am humbled by how well God is taking care of us. In fact, all the events surrounding this new job, the tick bite, the new vehicle and even new cycle is a much-needed reminder than God is caring for all our needs--even if not all our desires--before we can anticipate them ourselves.
Who knows...perhaps one day, they'll be good reason for those extra seats in the van too.
PS...I got the tick bite while on a glorious fall hike through a local wildlife refuge. I admit, the weather and scenery made it worth the trip to Urgent Care...
6 comments:
Wow, you have had an interesting week. I'm glad your family is healing up. It's wonderful that you are able to remember your blessings in a difficult time. P.S. The word verification is swinf (swine flu, maybe?) :)
I was wondering where you've been. Sorry everyone was sick!
I think that God has some great plans for that new van, congrats to your DH on the new job!
That's fantastic about your DH's new job!
Sorry to hear you're all sick, but glad that you were able to avoid the worst of it.
Hopefully, those antibiotics do the job and keep the lyme disease away! We've got a lot of them around our property and I'm constantly worried about it...
That's fantastic about your DH's new job!
Sorry to hear you're all sick, but glad that you were able to avoid the worst of it.
Hopefully, those antibiotics do the job and keep the lyme disease away! We've got a lot of them around our property and I'm constantly worried about it...
Isn't your title the truth! Gosh, it takes so much time to reveal how he takes care of us when all we see is the right now! ;) It makes me thankful for my IF, sometimes I feel that this time of waiting makes me more selfish with my time..... :( But there are other great aspects of it! :) Like all the months I get to fake pregnant and not be pregnant. hahahaha Sorry I had to throw that in there! ;
I wanted to ask you if you got a sewing machine and how is your house repairs coming along?
Sorry about the swineflu, what a mess, that fermented CLO sounds yummy, Gosh I can't even imagine how yummy it is for you!!!
No new sewing machine yet, but I'm still hopeful. I've gotten a quite a few orders recently for baby slings that I make and I had to walk away the other day because I was just too frustrated to go on. There's a local sewing store that's having a Babylock giveaway this Saturday--I may try my luck there.
House repairs...so far we've made no moves on that. Mike is thinking that all houses settle and perhaps we should just keep re-patching the cracks in the walls until the something worse happens...like the doors and windows failing to open.
CLO--the cinnamon tingle is far better than the chocolate creme...I can almost not detect the fishy taste when I mix it with OJ. :)
Post a Comment