Thursday, October 8, 2009

Well, that's that

I think I've mentioned before that we've been struggling with the idea with a third adoption. Each avenue we turn down seems to have a detour of some sort. Domestic, international or otherwise...each program has hurdles that just seem more daunting than we are comfortable with and we simply haven't felt the pull in the same way we felt pulled the last two times.

So I've been praying my heart out for direction. Which program? Which agency? Now or next year? Special needs? Should I go back to work to acquire the funds more quickly? Are we even meant to adopt again?

In this most recent novena to St. Therese, I asked her intercession for giving us direction. I'm willing to open my heart to just about anything. I know from experience that God will provide the grace and the means.

We started noticing some cracks in our living and dining room walls which I patched and painted over a few months back. The cracks have reappeared and seem to be growing bigger. This last week, we had 3 foundation specialists out to inspect and give us estimates on the work needing to be done.

The result?

They all confirm that the front of our house is sinking into the clay soil the house was built on 40 years ago. It will only get worse and it needs to be addressed and remediated before we could ever hope to sell.

The cost to drill down to bedrock and support the foundation?




$20,000.




Wasn't quite the direction I was hoping for, but it's direction nonetheless. Sometimes God answers your prayers in ways you can't understand or imagine ahead of time. But this pretty much settles it. There's no way we can afford an adoption simultaneously with this kind of work. I'm not happy, but at least I can stop wondering.



Onward and upward...

7 comments:

mrsblondies said...

I'm sorry about the foundation issues. It's never fun when the answer involves major home or car repair.

Sew said...

Oh my gosh! That is so horrible! I can't believe you need that type of repair on your house! I am so sorry....

I wouldn't be too discouraged my dear about not moving forward with adoption. My first thought was our plans that go wrong are that of a bigger plan.

Don't you have a conversation with Dr. H soon???? Maybe that next baby will be planted in your womb. :)

Karey said...

Oh no! You seem like you have a great attitude about it though. I should take a lesson from you :)

Jeremiah 29:11 said...

I second AYWH's comment... you have such a great attitude! You inspire me to trust in the Lord and His plans. Good luck with the house repairs!

E said...

You really have a beautiful faith, I admire you!

That really stinks about the foundation...I dispise spending money on stuff like that. Can you get a second opinion?

Have you also thought about getting a second opinion from Dr. S?

Mrs. Mike said...

Sew--yeah...scheduled for sometime in November. I sort of feel like I'm on a new path now though and I don't want him derailing me. LOL!

FJIEJ--we had three different guys come out and tell us the same thing. We're working on a 4th estimate/opinion though just in case. And you just reminded me to call the CWH to schedule my Pap! TY!

Thanks Mrs.b, AYWH and Jeremiah for your kind words!

Joy Complete said...

I'm sorry to hear about that. Of all things - foundation problems! That is definitely an expensive repair - makes me glad we don't own a house right now!