Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Consolation Prize: pedicures


I dislike feet.

Don't get me wrong...I think they are a wonderful and thoughtful creation by God, but I think they are ugly. At least they have the potential to be so if not properly cared for. Nothing grosses me out more than unkempt, callousy feet with old chipped nail polish. It's summer after and if you're going to walk around in sandals, you've got to be considerate to what other people have to look at.

There's even scriptural precedent for keeping yourself well-groomed:
"When you fast, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites. They neglect their appearance, so that they may appear to others to be fasting...but when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face" (Matthew 6:16-17)
And so, if I must offer my hopes and desires as a libation before God, I will treat myself every so often to a pedicure--which just so happens to usually occur after the arrival of AF. (Don't you love the logic?) I can't afford to go every month, but doggonit, I can afford $25 ever so often to prettify my feet. After all, I have size 10 feet and dainty little things they are not.

Even if not a full-blown spa pedicure, I try to remove old polish and apply a fresh coat every few weeks. A little soaking, scrubbing and polishing does wonders for my feet and goes a long way to making me feel better.

Pumice stones and nail color are good things indeed.

1 comment:

smilinggreenmom said...

I love it- don't we all need a little self pampering? Especially after AF visits LOL :) I love to have my feet rubbed and certainly love wearing flip-flops...so yes, it is critical to keep them prettied! I just cannot afford one...not even once a month. Blah. I do though love pampering myself with a hot bath or hot towels wrapped around my feet, followed by my pumice stone and Topricin foot cream. I just love the feeling it gives my tired and achy feet. It must be good if it can take care of my calluses too!. I know, disgusting. Anyway- thanks for the enjoyable post :) smilinggreenmom *tweet me!