Wednesday, July 8, 2009

A thorn in the flesh

I've been ruminating about this past Sunday's 2nd reading from St. Paul to the Corinthians. It is, of course, a very meaningful scriptural reference for me. I've clung to those words for years and have always found solace in that letter. Clearly, it was the inspiration for this blog.

Therefore, that I might not become too elated, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, an angel of Satan, to beat me, to keep me from being too elated.

A thorn was given to him. He didn't just happen upon it or somehow find himself "unlucky" enough to befall some sort of hardship. It was given to him. By whom? God.

And why? I choose to believe that it was a completely intentional and even merciful act of God to preserve Paul from becoming too puffed up, too overly confidant in his own capabilities, too sure of himself and what he could manage on his own. To remind him of his utter dependence on God. But perhaps more importantly, this thorn---whatever it was...physical infirmity?...an addiction?...internal struggle with anger, loneliness or depression?--was intended for the larger purpose of......glorifying God.

Three times
I begged the Lord about this, that it might leave me,

I think every person walking this planet can relate to this line. Lord knows I've begged Him to if not remove the cross, at least remove the desire from my heart.

but he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness."

Ah...now we begin to see. I think Paul is sharing a secret with us (albeit, a difficult lesson to be learned, to be sure). Keep in mind that Paul was not a saint until after he was martyred...after he wrote this letter. While he still walked this earth, evangelizing and proclaiming the Name of Jesus, he struggled with sin and endured suffering like any other man and his intellect was still clouded by the effects of Original Sin. Yet, he is sharing with us one of the best-kept (or perhaps most sorely misunderstood) secrets of life.

Paul saw an benefit to his weakness...an beauty in it or tremendous advantage if you will. He had the grace, the insight and inspiration to understand that God is glorified in our weaknesses. All victory is wrought by Christ...and He does it without any help from anything we do (or think we do) for ourselves. He has the power to resurrect from the dead. He has the power to heal all wounds. He alone can perfect all things and claim victory over death and sin--including the effects of sin (let's say for example...oh...infertility).

God is glorified through our pain.

It's wonderful indeed when new life is created and a woman's body functions the way it's supposed to. No doubt about it. God is glorified in the good. It's easy to understand that.

But isn't it a little more amazing perhaps (even on this most basic human level) when the infertile suddenly becomes fertile? When the broken becomes whole again? And perhaps...just perhaps, God is glorified a little more when long-suffering is endured joyfully and patiently. Perhaps one person's ability to shoulder their cross well inspires 20 others to do the same with their own crosses. God is glorified exponentially.
Therefore, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and constraints, for the sake of Christ; for when I am weak, then I am strong.
Indeed, no Olympian ever won a medal without first being put to the test and tried in many fires. No pain, no gain as they say. Strong muscles are not made by simply being...but rather through careful, thorough and often lengthy training under the constant but careful eye of the Coach.

May God be gloried through my thorn and may each of us look on our individual struggles as an opportunity for eternal strength training.

7 comments:

Kathryn said...

I blogged about this, too, just a couple of days ago.

Infertility is only a secondary thorn for me, tho one that will effect my whole life. I found a lot of comfort from this scripture.

Thank you for sharing. :)

Sew said...

I think I love you!!!!!!! ;)

E said...

Awesome reflection. I love this reading, and it definfately speaks to me about my cross. I couldn't keep on going without His Grace.

Amy @ This Cross I Embrace said...

I agree, this is perhaps the best reflection I've read on this reading.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. You have inspired me to let go of the anger I feel today, which is a part of my cross, and I should choose to carry ALL of it, not just the parts I'm "used" to.

mrsblondies said...

Your reflection on this reading is wonderful. I need to try to remember this, especially with regard to infertility, but also in the rest of my life.

Joy Complete said...

Beautiful reflection. Thanks so much for sharing. I have always loved the quote at the top of your blog - I should really post is somewhere around the house!

Kaitlin @ More Like Mary said...

You've got me hooked-I'm becomong a "follower". :) Your insights are beatiful and inspired! Keep sharing!