I knew those wounds because I lived them once intimately.
I knew well the grip of a wife's hand on her husband's. I recognized the posture of those women who attended alone, sitting by themselves with heads bowed low, some stifling tears. I saw some sitting stone-faced and with arms crossed, eyes locked at the tabernacle. You could feel the tension and the desperate longing in their hearts. Each of these women were here for one reason: their wombs and hearts were all broken. And they sought healing.
What was I doing here? I asked myself.
I felt like a bit of an impostor. Not that I didn't share in their brokenness (nearly 15 years of infertility qualifies me, I think) but I had something that the rest of these women clearly didn't: children to go home to. Even if my womb still weeps (literally, monthly still) my heart is largely mended with 3 children who call me "mama". My heart is in fact very very full.
So what was it that brought me here to this healing Mass?
In the back of church, I had seen a table full of resources for Catholics struggling with infertility. I saw cards that read "Prayers for a Child" and prayer cards to St. Gerard Majella with little medals attached. And of course I saw the NaProTecnology pamphlets. Lots of them. And I saw women hungrily reaching for everything on the table, filling their purses with these pamphlets and cards and their hearts with hope.
BTDT. Bought the T-shirt.
I felt my stomach lurch. Why should I have such a guttural reaction to these good and noble people, prayers and resources that have in fact healed so many? Perhaps this was why I was here at this Healing Mass. Perhaps the remnants of bitterness residing in my heart still emerge from time to time, potent enough to still be dangerous, still cause damage. To myself but also to others.
Though I don't intend to, I admit that I have been dismissive when talking about NaPro in the past. I have caught myself recommending NaPro on one hand but then rolling my eyes as I quoted their "effectiveness" rates for infertility clients. I could always feel the piercing question on the mind of my listener: but why didn't it work for you?
Indeed. Why didn't it?
~ ~ ~
I first sought the assistance of NaProTechnology back in 2000 when we had been married about a year an a half. I had no clearly problematic issues in my early Creighton charting and my first hormone profile showed normal levels on everything but a slightly low post-peak progesterone level. I initially tried the less-invasive medical route of clomid, hCG injections and vitamins. But after 4 years - and shortly after we brought our first son home from Guatemala - I finally succumbed to the idea of NaPro surgery and flew out to Chicago for a lap with Dr. Stegman. (Hilgers was not on our insurance plan at the time.) Diagnosis: stage II endometriosis.
Two more fruitless years of clomid, hCG and monitored cycles. We adopt again - another baby boy - but I kept looking back over my shoulder. I had two children now but the question plaqued me: will I ever be at peace with my infertility? Will I regret if I don't try every last avenue? Now while I have at least some semblance of "fertility" (laughable though that last thought was). My Catholic infertility comrades and champions of NaPro (most of whom were online) kept cheering me on.
The message was clear: go to Omaha. Talk to the man who wrote the book on NaPro.
And in 2008 I did go to Dr. Hilgers. Diagnosis: "mild endo" (he wouldn't even stage it) and an "unimpressive" luteinized unruptured follicle. The great and powerful Wizard of Omaha sat across from me the day after my surgery and in one fell swoop, dashed my last hope by telling me that given all we had tried in the past 10 years and his largely "unimpressive" surgical findings (he kept using that word), there was nothing left in his bag of tricks. Oh, he kept me dangling for another year
Statistics be damned. I was one of NaproTechnology's "failures". And I felt a door slam in my face.
~ ~ ~
These were the thoughts that were plaguing me as I attended the Mass of healing. Why was I even here? These other women might have a chance at it--but me? Why waste the healing oils on my head if my heart is supposedly so full?
But something had clearly brought me there. And now I was standing in line, walking up to the priest who would anoint and pray over me. Clearly I was still (and continue to be) in the need of healing. The scars on my heart run deep. And though I no longer pray to be healed of infertility (am I not fully a mother now, 3 times over?) I confess that I still struggle with news like that of my brother-in-law who announced this week that he and his new wife of 19 days whole days of marriage are expecting. My heart still clenches at the thought that my husband and I will likely never see the physical fruit and embodiment of married love.
Yes. I need some sort of healing. Whatever it is, Lord. Heal me of what ails me the most. As the priest laid his hands on my head I closed my eyes and heard these words, inspired by the Holy Spirit, he spoke as he prayed over me:
"I am the true vine and my Father is the vine grower. He takes away every branch in me that does not bear fruit and everyone that does bear fruit, he prunes so that it will bear more." (John 15:1-2)
He removes every branch that does not bear fruit.
Could it be that NaPro was never intended to do for me what it's done for others? What right have I to even indirectly scoff at NaPro and their statistics? My miracle baby may never grace the wall of Dr. Hilgers' Wall of Miracles but neither am I a "method failure". Drs. Hilgers and Stegman are merely tools in the hands of the Divine Physician. No one is ever promised a baby. I allowed myself to be duped into thinking that that's what would happen. And that's not NaPro's fault. It's time to bury the hatchet.
We have certainly had a fruitful marriage - and an extraordinarily happy one at that - and our lives are full with the children who have been entrusted to us. Adoption bears rich fruit indeed, albeit at a slower pace than I would like. But my cup overflows. And the pain that still comes? It's a remnant. A reminder of what has been cut away to make room for that which is actively bearing fruit. The years of infertility treatments and NaPro surgeries were a withering branch that just wasn't bearing fruit. It's time to recognize that there was a time and a season for that and not make apologies or excuses for why we made the decisions to fly to Chicago and Omaha. It's time to move on. Without the bitterness.
I should still be capable of endorsing and recommending a resource even if it didn't do for me what I wanted it to do. I do no one any favors by allowing my experience to overshadow someone else's.
NaPro truly offers a couple the very best chance at both achieving and avoiding pregnancy, depending on the intention of how it's used. I salute all my NaPro friends and professionals who have worked with or counseled me over the years. I am grateful for the large chunk of their lives they have devoted to helping couples, however ungrateful we might seem. I'm grateful for the data collected through my surgeries and hormone profiles even if all that data never lead to a firm diagnosis ("unexplained infertility" is a frustrating term). I am still grateful that someone once gave me one of those NaProTechnology pamphlets all those years ago. I can be at peace knowing that I all those meds and procedures, regardless of the outcomes, were done cooperatively with my cycle as it was designed by my Creator.
And that peace is truly a healing balm to the soul.
10 comments:
Beautifully said. I, too, see those so fresh into the sorrow of IF and can indentify. Ten years later is a lot, but those wounds are still there, seeping at times, always in need of healing.
I'm so glad you got this chance for more healing.
And your marriage is a living example of joyfulness!
This is so beautiful.
I could use a healing mass myself.
I love your honesty and can appreciate where you are/were coming from about napro. It is not a cure all by any stretch but yes it is likely the best we have. That being said, I also have to say there have been times when napro newbies would say something to me like, "have you tried progesterone?" that I would wanna punch someone. lol!!!
We are so alike! Great post.
We have so much in common in our journey...just a little different time line.
God healed my heart and my body miraculously, not using any medical means (not even NaPro)...just 6 short months ago. Long after my 2 surgeries and all that goes with them. He chose to wait until I was all done with trying to fix it all (mainly the pain, not the infertility). I let it all go. Resigned to suffer for the rest of my life or until I could afford a hysterectomy.
I am still in this new stage of peace and joy. I have no more endo pain. My cycles are normal. I even had one while on our recent cruise and it didn't slow me one bit. Each month I am still tempted to doubt God's Goodness and wonder if He will take my health from me again. I have been healed in body and heart, but my soul and mind are still in recovery. I think that God will always leave some part of us yet to be healed (this side of heaven). It makes us strive for heaven even more!
I just wanted to say that I am so sorry for your difficult journey. I'll say a prayer for your continued healing.
I can identify with almost everything you wrote (except about 3 kiddos ... we only have 1, also through adoption). The bitterness you talk of, still there. A healing Mass would do me wonders. Although I've got a lot of pruning to happen to me yet.
Absolutely. Amazing. Post!!! Thank you for putting words to what is inside my head!
Also, we also went to Dr. Hilgers (used Dr. Keefe) and I, too, felt slighted and disappointed when NaPro did not work for me either. But like you, I am at peace that I tried everything.
I am so glad you posted this. While I wish that NaPro was the answer for every infertile couple...God clearly has very different plans for each one of us. I am sorry that your encounters with Dr H left much to be desired. I definitely preferred the bedside manner/compassion of Dr S.
I hope you are able to find peace and forgive NaPro/Dr H/Dr S (whomever or whatever) for not helping you. The bitterness breaks my heart. There are many many women in your shoes and it is hard to find the words to offer when it just doesn't work. I look forward for the day that healing (and post) comes from you.
The problem with NaPro in my experience is that it bills itself as a more effective alternative (and the only alternative for Catholics) to ARP. And this is simply untrue. If Catholics want to promote its use to stay in line with Church teachings, great. However, do not overstate statistics.
I feel really bad for those couples that traveled far for services readily available at home.
The truth is that for women with endometriosis, main stream doctors can do a laparoscopy. It's not a procedure unique to NaPro doctors. The unfortunate thing about infertility like most illnesses, is that the patient must educate themselves. We cannot leave it up to the medical establishment or the Church.
I do regret my use of NaPro not so much for enduring the procedures but that I abdicated my role in finding my own answers. We are OK with our situation now because I finally started making my own decisions. And that's a good feeling.
ATC--clearly I've had my issues with NaPro but the whole point of this post was to illustrate that those issues were of my own making. I don't blame NaPro or any of the doctors or practitioners for being unable to create a miracle in my womb. They are merely cooperators with, not the authors of, life. That was my whole point. It just wasn't meant to be for me and I must resign myself to that. NaPro did what was medically and surgically possible in light of and guided by Church teaching. I can't ask for more. And *that* is why I needed to bury the hatchet and lift this burdensome grudge off my heart. Being neither logical nor sensible, that grudge had no place in my heart.
To be clear, I don't think I was sold a snake oil but I do sometimes wonder if their statistics are a bit inflated. For instance, when a former NaPro client does become pregnant some time after treatment and calls up PPVI to relate the news and/or seek progesterone monitoring--do they still count that as one of their "successes"? I would hope they wouldn't manipulate statistics like that. Sometimes pregnancy just happens when it's going to happen, not because of anything any doctor did or treatment that was followed months or years previously. But I'm no statistician.
I don't think it's untruthful for NaPro to brand themselves as the most effective alternative to ART. Haven't seen it advertised as such but even if it is, it's a marketing term more than anything. You see it on everything from laundry soap to hybrid cars. But I don't see anywhere where NaPro touts themselves as the "only alternative for Catholics". Can you site a source for that? No one is ever obliged to pursue IF tx's but only to pursue treatments that support the dignity of the marriage act and any potential person being created. NaPro can and should advertise that they work cooperatively with the woman's cycle.
Finally, I actually did have surgery done by my local "mainstream" GYN before I underwent my first NaPro lap. And you know what? That guy spent all of 20 looking around and declared that I was "clean as a whistle". Eighteen months later, Dr. S performed a NaPro lap and spent 4 hours looking around every crevice of my abdomen and that's when he found Stage II endo. So yeah...you can't tell me that you can find the same treatment at your local neighborhood doc. NaPro does have an edge, surgically and medically, in their approach to infertility.
Post a Comment