Friday, March 15, 2013

PSA: not all traditionalists are cranky holier-than-the-popes


The last few days have been a whirlwind, no?

We went from the close of Benedict XVI's papacy through the emptiness of sede vacante to a relatively swift election of a new pope - all in just 2 weeks.

And now in the last 48 hours, not only is the news media having its hay day with our new pontiff but he is also now the source for (more) in-fighting among Catholics. While the largest majority of Catholics are rightly celebrating the election of Pope Francis, some radical traditionalists - who on the far fringe I might add - have unabashedly decried him as an anti-pope.

le sigh...

They've been repeatedly called out on their behavior and admonished as well they should.

In Catholic circles, traditionalists are being referred to as pot-stirrers. Rabble-rousers. Whiners. I even saw a reference that they are responsible for all the dirt being dug up surrounding the dirty war in Argentina. It seems now that ANY reference I've been seeing now about Pope Francis and traditionalists has been negative. As though Pope Francis and traditionalists are antithetical to each other. The implication seems to be - thanks to the crazies - that all traditionalists are vile-spewing Francis-haters and think the election of Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Argentina was a mistake by the college of cardinals this week.

Now for the sake of clarity, by traditional I mean those who have a preference for the Extraordinary Form of the Liturgy or otherwise an attachment to all the old traditions (music, devotions, decorum, posture in prayer, etc.) I personally think this is silly nomenclature because really...if we are all Catholic then by definition we are universally all traditionalists since we all claim membership of One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church which has been passed down to us for 2000 years. However there is a deep division among Catholics who prefer the Ordinary Form (Novus Ordo prayed in English or local vernacular) of the Mass and those who prefer the Extraordinary Form (centuries old Mass prayed in Latin). For lack of better terminology, the term "traditionalist" is forever associated with the latter group.

And for the record, I count myself as a card-carrying traditionalist. 

Sadly, it's the radical traditionalists - the kind that are more Catholic than the pope - that give the rest of us a bad name. The very mention of the Latin Mass in casual conversation among fellow Catholics seems to induce lips puckering. It labels you instantly as a nut-job. Why would anyone want to attend Mass in a language you can't understand? So do you...like...cover your head too? (The answer to those questions is for another post.)

But I speak to you as one who does happen to have a preference for the old ways and attends the EF regularly. So here's a little PSA:


PLEASE DON'T LUMP ALL 
TRADITIONAL CATHOLICS TOGETHER


I am just as appalled and ashamed of what you are seeing in the com boxes by those radical traditionalists (aka Rad Trads/Angry Catholics). Unfortunately, those with the biggest mouthpieces are often the only ones who are usually heard. So here I am now with my own (albiet tiny) mouthpiece to say: 

Most traditional Catholics are thrilled to have a new pope and look forward to getting to know him better. 

Whatever the reason, however justified they think they are, it is never appropriate to speak ill of the Vicar of Christ, let alone any priest or religious. The Rad Trads are totally out of line. Period.

If there has been slowness to warm up to our new holy father, it rests on two points:

1) He is largely unknown to the world

For the first time in 30 years, we have a pope with very little paper trail to tell us who he really is. We can gather that in choosing the name of Francis and seeing images of him kissing the feet AIDS patient that he has a profound compassion for the poor. Reports of his unassuming nature, proclivity to public transportation over limousines and his humble appearance on the Vatican balcony on Wednesday can only lead one to believe he is a deeply spiritual man. This all speaks volumes about the man who lead the Catholics of Buenos Aires. But he is still largely an enigma. We need time to get to know him. Time for him to lead. Time for him to write (or have his previous writings translated from Spanish).


2) We are still mourning the loss of Benedict XVI

This is no understatement. When Joseph Ratzinger walked out onto the balcony 8 years ago, we KNEW him. Everyone did. Most could guess his passions and perhaps predict his agenda. He was already a prolific author and served in the Roman Curia during the pontificate of John Paul II. Within two years of his pontificate, Benedict XVI issued his motu proprio giving universal permission for the Latin Mass (which he re-named the Extraordinary Form of the Liturgy...the term "Traditional Latin Mass" is now antiquated) to be offered universally around the globe. Previously, it had been suppressed and only permitted with a special indult and only in certain dioceses and with certain bishops. He was a champion not just for the Latin Mass but for ushering back a return to tradition. How I will miss those red shoes and hat! He was and is a deeply intellectual and theological man who certainly had the chops for the job. Losing him last month was nothing short of devastating. And I will admit, it rocked me deeply. We still need time to greave.


Let me say again that I reject and abhor the reaction I have seen expressed by some in the traditional camp. It's downright sinful. Pope Francis is our holy pontiff and I swear my allegiance to him unreservedly. There is much to be admired about what we know of him so far and good reason to be encouraged by how he will lead. I trust that the Holy Spirit was working through the cardinals in electing him. God bless him and help him to shoulder this heavy burden that has been placed on his shoulders.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to read this post. I was so excited about the whole conclave process, seeing the white smoke for the very first time in my life (I was living in Korea in 2005), and the discovery of who our new pope would be. I was devouring every article I could find on Pope Francisco! Then, I stumbled across some traditional Catholic sites that had some extremely negative things to say, and I was disheartened :(. I felt like I was back in my childhood, when every sermon I heard railed against the Novus Ordo and the entire modern Church.
I'm frustrated trying to find a local NO parish that has a faithful priest, a reverent (and proper) liturgy, but reluctant to get sucked back into the "holier than the pope" attitudes that can sometimes be found at the Latin Mass parishes. You shouldn't HAVE to go to a TLM to find reverence :(. Of course, if there were more EF masses offered locally, and I didn't have to drive far to get to one, that would probably be my mass of choice. There's just something comforting about the Mass as it's been said for thousands of years, and I am drawn to it still.

Kat said...

I just found your blog through Leila@LittleCatholicBubble. Amen, amen, amen! My DH and I go to Latin Mass every Sunday because we happen to prefer it. One of our friends said to us one time "you know that you two are very different from the regular Latin Mass crowd, right?" Yes we know we are because we do not constantly bash our Catholic leaders, we pray for them. Most people don't understand why we go to the Extraordinary Form rather than the Novus Ordo because the people at Novus Ordo are so much nicer. Our best explanation is that we are not there for the people but for Mass and to worship God. I dislike strongly being lumped with the Rad Trads just because we love the Latin Mass! I also agree that we are still mourning B16, I cried when he left.

Katie said...

Excellent response! We go to the Latin Mass too, and while I do wonder if some of the things I'm hearing about the new pope and Summorum Pontificem (sp?) are true, I'm also appalled at what some of the "rad trads" are saying. I, too, am mourning the loss of Benedict XVI, but I'm excited by the things I've read about Pope Francis and eager to see what he does :)

Anonymous said...

Great response. I'd like to point out a third group: Those who love the Novus Ordo laced with tradition. :) Pope Benedict inspired and supported priests to incorporate Latin, facing away from the people etc into the Novus Ordo (which was never designed for the purpose of doing away with Latin in the liturgy or other practices). I've been attending a parish for years now that incorporates much of the beauty of the EF into the NO. We will certainly miss Pope Benedict.

Julie said...

Our parish has both the EF and the OF of the Mass. Parishioners, including us, drive anywhere from 20-90 minutes to celebrate both forms of the Mass. We all come out of reverence for the Mass, the amazing leadership of the priests to follow ALL the teachings of the Church and for community of fellow Cathoilcs who love God and the Church and try to live our lives accordingly. I was telling my sister and a few friends who attend the parishes near where they live that our parish is so different and that I have never met a single couple that contracepts or sterilizes at our church. They said that most everyone (well over 1/2) of their fellow parishioners do not follow or agrees with the teachings of the Church on contraception and life issues.
We are not crazy Latin Mass people, we just love God and the sacraments and prefer to be surrounded by those not living outward hypocrisy at Mass (receiving the Eucharist while contracepting).
Our parish is rare and we are very blessed!!
I haven't even met any anti pope crazies at our Church either!

E said...

I'm one of those nut jobs, too. :) But you know that. Well said here!

Percolating Petals said...

I'm glad you wrote this post, as the vitriolic comments of the rad-trads really made my blood boil. While I prefer the NO done well, I certainly respect those who prefer the EF. What makes it hard is most of the devotees of the EF that I've met have been rad-trads who call me a heretic or try to give me Fr. Feen.ey pamplets. Wish those people took your viewpoint.

Mrs. Mike said...

CMM--I hear you. It shouldn't be that hard to find a good Mass. Such rampant (and experimental) diversity in the Catholic liturgy is not what was intended by Vat. II. Just say the red and do the black people!

Kat--yes, we try REALLY hard to stay far away from the Angry Catholics and there are most definitely different camps among the trads: (I'm generalizing here)

1) the Sedevacantists who have rejected any pope since Vat II
2) the SSPX'ers who acknowledge the pope but are not in full union with Rome
3) the Rad Trads/Angry Catholics who scoff at the Novus Ordo and refuse to attend anything BUT the Extraordinary Form
4) the rest of us who (perhaps somewhat quietly) attend the Extraordinary Form but still lubs us a good, properly offered Oridnary Form.

Katie--While I do have a suspicion that Pope Francis is not a strict liturgical purist in the way that Benedict is/was, I really don't think he will touch Summorum Pontificum. It was one of the main legacies of BXVI and for him to reverse it would be, IMO, very bad form. I personally think that the liturgy is very low on his agenda.

Anonymous--yep! I love me a good OF too! The more smells and bells, the more I like it! :)

Julie--there are 4 parishes within a 40min drive of us that offer the EF and we choose to drive the 35min on Sundays to attend Mass at a parish that has the least number of Rad Trads. Being around them is uncomfortable at best.

E--I know, that's why I like you so much! :)

PP--I am sorry that the Rad Trads have caused you so much grief. :( I'm hear to tell you that we're not all like that. I do feel for them though. In some ways their crankiness is understandable: imagine if we experienced a total and sudden change to the OF today and were expected to go back to the EF exclusively. There'd be an insurrection! That's what my parents' generation experience 40 years ago and why so many were so hurt by the change in the Mass. But it still doesn't give license to be nasty.

Nicole said...

Since I don't fit into any of those groups, I'd like to propose a 5th. My family and I only attend the EF at an apostolate of The Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest. This order of priests is in full communion with Rome, even receiving Canonical status from Pope Benedict XVI. Not only do they only offer Mass in the EF but we really do get the "fullness" of the faith in the traditional form, from sacraments to novenas and various devotions to child and adult instruction to many fun parish activities, the list goes on and on. They even have a third order. What drew us in was not only the Mass, but the fact that we never have to worry about what our children might hear or be taught. Also, like Julie said, we are surrounded by others like us, just trying to get ourselves and our children to heaven by living the fullness of our faith and following ALL church teachings. Almost no one at our church is anti-Pope anti-NO or anti-those who attend the NO. I think most of us realize that we all have to decide what is best/most comfortable for us and our families. This order of priests helps to promote this attitude as their motto is "Living the truth in charity" and due to their formation they truly do live out this spirit of charity. I don't mean to sound like an advertisement, but if you find they are relatively close or are close to anywhere you may be traveling they are worth checking out.

Mrs. Mike said...

Nicole--we're big fans here of the ICK apostolate. :) There is none close by where we live but when we travel, we have had the opportunity to attend Mass there--most recently in Oakland, CA. :) And goodness, the pilgrimage to France with Card. Burke would be a DREAM!!!

Nicole said...

It's funny that you mentioned the pilgrimage to France because thanks to a very kind person I AM GOING! It still seems unreal and I'm stressing a little. I've never even been out of the country and I haven't gone anywhere by myself since I got married! I've been getting all this advice on what to do/bring/wear and it seems like a daunting task just to get ready. I also have to make sure I have daily lesson plans for the younger children so the older ones can help them. I also want to have at least some of the meals planned out. So much to do and most of it will have to wait until after Easter which only gives me about a week! I know it will all get done and I'm trying to leave it in God's hands. I'll just keep praying that He helps me to gain as many graces as I can on this trip and that I will grow spiritually in whatever way He had in mind when He gave me this opportunity. Also, I will add you and your family to the list of those I will be praying for in each place I visit.

Mrs. Mike said...

Exceedingly envious of your pilgrimage to France but very appreciative of your prayers! You are so generous! Will pray you can coordinate it all ahead of time...I'm sure all the details will fall into place! Bon Voyage!

Peggy said...

Hi Mrs. Mike,

Did that Mass you went to in Oakland, CA happen to be at a newly established Carmel with 9 of the most beautiful and amazing cloistered, contemplative Sisters - one of whom is my daughter? :)