Two black smokes - 3 ballots so far - later, we can only imagine the growing weight on the shoulders of the college of cardinals. Watching the solemn procession as they walked into the conclave yesterday you could see on their faces the grave, solemn responsibility they had before them. One in cardinal in particular (not the one pictured below) looked positively ill - like he was stifling the urge to throw up - going up to place his hand on the bible as he prepared to take the oath of secrecy.
The chanting of the Litany of the Saints must have been solace to them - balm to the soul - as were the prayers from faithful around the world. Truly heaven and earth were being moved at that moment for one purpose: that these men would be receptive to the promptings of the Holy Spirit as they select the next Pontiff of the Catholic Church.
Let me say at the outset here that I trust the Holy Spirit. I do. It has been promised by Christ Himself that the Holy Spirit would remain with us until the end of time and that His presence (re)assures us that the Church will survive and the gates of Hell will not prevail.
But if I can be honest here...I do fear.
I hope I am wrong but I fear that something is afoot that will weaken her. It is true that she has stood the test of time for 2000 years and she will continue to do so for another 2000 years. But since the time of St. Peter, the burden of being at the helm of the barque of the Church has fallen on the shoulders of fallible men. Some of those men have been saints, some - not so much.
The past century, the world has seen some terribly troubling times: the rise of Communism, two world wars, dictators and tyrants capable of catastrophic holocausts around the globe, moral decline on every horizon but we've been remarkably blessed the bishops of Rome. But the Church has also seen her fair share of less-than-ideal men on the chair of Peter. (Medici popes anyone?)
Don't get me wrong: doctrine never change. Heresy will never be taught...but will we continue to see the caliber of strength and courage we've witnessed in our pontiffs of late? Will the very BEST man for our times be selected and elected?
I pray yes. With all my heart.
But consider what then-Cardinal Ratzinger said in an interview back in 1998:
Everding asked Cardinal Ratzinger if he really believed that the Holy Spirit was instrumental in the election of the pope. The cardinal answered:
"I wouldn't say that in the sense that the Holy Spirit chooses any particular pope, because there is plenty of evidence to the contrary (he laughs as he says this) - there have been many whom the Holy Spirit quite obviously would not have chosen! But, that He does not altogether relinquish control, but rather like a good trainer keeps us on a very long cord, so to speak, allowing us a great deal of freedom, but never unfastening the cord - that's how I would put it. It needs to be taken in a very broad sense and not as if He says, "You've got to pick this one!" What He allows, however, is limited to that which cannot completely ruin everything."
The pithy, elegant paraphrase puts it thus:
"I would say that the Spirit does not exactly take control of the affair, but rather like a good educator, as it were, leaves us much space, much freedom, without entirely abandoning us. Thus the Spirit's role should be understood in a much more elastic sense, not that He dictates the candidate for whom one must vote. Probably the only assurance He offers is that the thing cannot be totally ruined."
Too many Catholics are being naive about this conclave and the grave decision that is being decided within the Sistine Chapel today. As though there is no need to even pray for the cardinal electors. But pray we must because here's the kicker: the Holy Spirit inspires...but it's fallible men in the college of cardinals who do the electing. They can choose to respond to the promptings of the Holy Spirit...or not.
And then there was this piece written just 2 days ago...one day before the conclave began which is a sobering reminder not all cardinals will be of one mind.
“Your eminence,” I said, “I’ve forgotten. Are you already above age 80, or not?
“I am not yet 80,” he told me.
“So you will be voting tomorrow.”
He nodded, and a look passed over his eyes which seemed filled with shadows and concerns. I was surprised at his intensity. I was surprised by the whole conversation.
He squeezed my hand. “Is there anything else I can do?” I asked.
“Pray for us,” he said. “Pray for us.”
He turned as if he needed to go
“I have to go.”
He took a step away from me, then turned again.
“It is a dangerous time. Pray for us.”
As Steve Skojec writes at Catholic Vote, this is no ordinary conclave.
In this conclave, we should pray all the more, and invoke St. Michael’s intercession. Remember the reason for the prayer’s composition:
Pope Leo XIII (reigned from 1878-1903) composed the now famous “Prayer to Saint Michael” after celebrating the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass with a group of cardinals. During the Mass, the Holy Father fell to the floor at the foot of the altar. It seemed that the Holy Father had died or suffered from a stroke. Suddenly, the Pope revived and said, “What a horrible vision I was allowed to see.”
Apparently the pontiff saw a future influx of demonic forces into the Catholic Church. He subsequently authored the following prayer to Saint Michael, seeking to gain further protection for the Church. Pope Leo XIII also ordered this prayer it be prayed by the priest and faithful at the end of every low Mass.
Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in the battle, be our safeguard and protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil; may God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the heavenly host, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and all evil spirits who wander through the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.
We are living in dangerous and extraordinary times. Not unlike other times of history in fact. One can't deny that Benedict XVI's abdication from the throne of Peter was both historic and mysterious. Did he perhaps know something - something revealed to him (divinely or otherwise) that he knew he would not have the strength to bear - that caused him to step aside? I'm only speculating of course. No conspiracy theories here. But there is something going on and I can't quite put my finger. I'm willing to bet the cardinals are beset by the same concerns: that is indeed is no ordinary conclave.
I am on the edge of my seat waiting to see who becomes the next Supreme Pontiff. Of course the Holy Spirit can and will work through whomever is elected, even if it's not His choice. I hope we get the pontiff that is wise and holy and strong and exactly who we need. In the mean time, we must not get complacent. We must pray. Fast if you can. Intercession to St. Michael would be a good start.
It can't hurt.
2 comments:
I'm so glad you posted this! I have been praying a novena for the election of a new Pope, but I will step up my prayers & add the St. Michael prayer as well. I am nervous as well about the right man for the job being selected & will pray that he is.
Now you've got me nervous as I stare at the chimney! Praying hard.
Post a Comment