Panera Bread is a household name in our home. We spend altogether too much money there but it's hard to resist a place that serves quick, reasonably nutritious food to starving children (and parents), has good coffee and - just being honest here - has free wi-fi. And have you heard about the Paleo-friendly hidden menu they offer now too? What's not to love?
This soup on their menu has been a favorite among my children for years. Since they were babies, they have loved dipping their crusty bread into the warm, rich goodness. I don't think they even know or would care that it's made chiefly of vegetables.
So for this past Friday's Soup and Stations, I made a big pot of this soup and the bowls were licked clean. I prefer my Broccoli and Cheddar soup to have a little texture to it so while I did blend it with my trusty...
...I left some broccoli undisturbed and intact. Served with a nice loaf of artisan bread and a salad on the side. So without further ado, here is my knock-off version of Panera Bread's Broccoli and Cheddar soup.
Broccoli and Cheddar Soup
4 Tbsp butter, divided
1 small onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup flour
2 cups half and half (or milk)
1 quart vegetable broth
1 20oz bag frozen broccoli
2 large carrots, grated
8oz cheddar cheese, grated
1/4 tsp nutmeg, freshly grated or ground
salt and pepper to taste
Saute onion in 1 Tbsp of butter over medium heat and when softened, add garlic and stir for a minute. Add remaining butter to onions and when melted, stir in flour. Cook and stir for about 3 minutes then slowly add the half and half (or milk), whisk until thickened. Add chicken stock slowly as you continue to whisk. Add broccoli and carrots and bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
Blend soup to desired consistency with immersion blender or in batches with regular blender. Add cheese and stir until heated through. Serve and enjoy!


1 comment:
This looks absolutely delicious! I was wondering if there is a way around the sat fat in the cheese? No fat cheese will not melt and 2% milk cheese still has a lot of sat fat. Thanks!
Post a Comment