Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Meatless Fridays: Spinach Artichoke Soup

Continuing with the theme of  Lenten meals, here is another surprisingly filling vegetarian meal (easily modified with the addition of chicken at other times of the year). I had this soup recently at a girlfriend's home (of Cookie Exchange fame) and immediately fell in love. It's like Spinach Artichoke dip but in the form of a soup! This is another one of those comforting and warm-you-to-the-bones soups. It's creaminess in fact renders it somewhat decadent for a "penitential" meal.



Spinach Artichoke Soup 
1-1/2 cups of sliced leeks
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1-14oz can artichokes in water, drained and quartered
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup white wine (or your husband's vermouth he reserves for his martinis...ahem)
2-1/2 cups vegetable (or chicken) broth
1-1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup half & half (or sour cream)
8 cups of fresh spinach (or 1 pkg of chopped frozen spinach)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste.

In a large pot, sauté leeks and garlic gently in olive oil and butter over medium heat until softened. 



Add artichokes. 




Stir in flour and cook for one minute. Deglaze the pot with wine and simmer until thickened, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Stir in broth, milk, cream and cook until it gently bubbles. 





Reduce heat and add spinach and cheese. Stir until spinach wilts. Season with salt and pepper.



Serve with a nice hunk of your favorite artisan bread. (And in the words of Carl Weathers, "you got yourself a stew.")





3 comments:

Karey said...

I rarely say this about recipes I read, but I'm going to have to try this! Soup is very popular in my house. Thanks for sharing :)

Julie said...

YUM!!! I might have to make a meal plan for this!!

Jeremiah 29:11 said...

Sounds amazing!