We were both born and raised in the midwest, and so when we were growing up...
seafood = tuna casserole
<gag on so many levels>
It's only been since we moved to the mid-Atlantic over a decade ago that we have discovered a) what real seafood is and b) that we like it. We're still refining our cooking skilz when it comes to seafood and our successes are beginning to outnumber our failures. Our recipe repertoire for this genre is small but growing.
All this to say, Fridays are truly penitential, especially during Lent. There are however a few of meatless dishes we have discovered that we actually like during any day of the year. This is one I served last night to a crowd who came over to our house to pray the Stations of the Cross. It went over very well--even the kids enjoyed it.
Thai Coconut Soup
In a dutch oven, begin by making a flavored stock by adding:
1 qt. vegetable (or chicken) stock
4 stalks of lemongrass, cut into 1 inch sections
5 garlic cloves, cut in half (you can leave the peels on)
2 inch chunk of ginger, cut into 1/2" chunks
Simmer this mixture for 20-30 minutes then strain out and discard the vegetation, reserving the now flavor-infused liquid. Add a little olive oil to the bottom of the dutch oven and throw in:
1 lb. mushrooms, sliced or quartered (shitake would be ideal but I used baby bellas)
Let these brown just a little then add:
1lb shrimp (outside of Lent, chicken is a great addition, cut into 1/2" pieces)
Allow the shrimp to cook just briefly but before they turn pink, add:
2 tsp red curry paste (more to taste--this provides the real heat for the dish)
3 Tbsp fish sauce
juice of one lime (more to taste)
reserved broth
2-3 cans coconut milk (depending on how much you want to stretch it)
Simmer for 10 minutes and garnish with :
-cilantro
-green onions
-jalapenos
-lime wedges
Serve on it's own or with a side of rice.

8 comments:
Sounds great! I will have to try this.
You would probably like cioppino, a seafood stew that supposedly originated in San Francisco. Essentially, you throw in the seafood of your choice (usually includes shellfish), add a tomato base, and season as you wish (usually with a bit of kick).
Here's a recipe for it that does not use stock made from chicken or vegetables (I prefer mine to be flavored with seafood only):
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Soup/Cioppino.htm
This will be my third Lent of going meatless - no animal protein except seafood - and hopefully it will be my most successful.
Thanks for the suggestion! I love having a new recipe to try!
Yum! Thanks for sharing!
Lol to seafood = tuna casserole. That was how I grew up as well. This soup looks wonderful. For a twist, check out Thai Pumpkin Soup or Thai Butternut Soup (also made with coconut milk). I discovered it on or anniversary trip and am in.love with the combo.
I have rarely met a Thai dish that I haves loved. Will look that up and give it a whirl. Thanks!
We grew up with meatless Fridays year-round and I used to love the fish-fries, seafood gumbos and etouffes. Guess that's the good thing about growing up in SW Louisiana :). This soup sounds delicious!
I just ate and now I'm hungry again.
Just made this for today! It's amazing!!!! Easy and its going in my rotation!
Post a Comment