Homeschooling is a big part of the life we live and is intimately related to the choices DH and I make as parents. As such, it's been a beautiful part of our lives and, as with adoption, one that I love to share.
A little background first...
Both DH and I are the product of a homeschool education. He was HS'ed from K-12 and I was HS'ed from 8-12 after spending my K-7 years in public school. For DH's family, the decision to HS was as natural as breathing: his parents were drawn to it because they researched it and agreed with certain revolutionary educational philosophies at the time that suggested children flourish best in the home school environment. My parents however, turned to HS'ing not for any such lofty ideals but rather in desperation when our local school district started mandating sex education (something they vehemently opposed) in health class. They were shouted out of the PTA meeting they attended to object. The very next day my siblings and I were yanked out of the school system and started learning at home using a distance education program.
I enjoyed being close to my mom during those teenage years. I reveled in the amount of time and freedom I suddenly had on my hands, but it was also a time of steep challenge too as I learned to figure things out on my own, no longer having the benefit of simply raising a hand to have a teacher answer a question. But it was a fulfilling time and prepared me well for my college years and what nursing school would soon bring.
So once our oldest child reached Kindergarten-age, the decision to homeschool him was not all that newsworthy but neither was it a entirely academic. Since we live in the DC metro area, the option of public schooling was not really an option for various reasons. (I'm not knocking any parents' decision to choose public school--it just wasn't right for us or our children.) We researched the option of Catholic schools in our area but honestly? $5,000 a year for Kindergarten tuition? To learn how to cut and paste and count numbers and learn letter sounds? Heck, *I* could do that and spend that money on
But the real decision that we decided to homeschool was rooted in something that went beyond tuition fees or record of academic excellence.
You see, I spent 5 years trying to become a parent. My kids are my favorite people in the whole wide world and I'm sort of partial to their company (however much I may try to escape the noise and chaos!) I have absolutely loved being home with them full time, spending my day observing how they learn that a ball bounces, how color and shape patterns exist all around us, watching the moment they discover that sunshine feels warm on their face and makes their eyes squeeze shut or how bubbles will float for a time in the air before bursting on the ground. In short, I was discovering the world again through my children's eyes.
So the very last thing I wanted was to be separated from my favorite 5yr old for 6+ hours a day. What might he learn there that I won't be part of? In what context would he be learning it? What ideas will he take from it? Will he remember to tell me everything about it? Did I want to miss out on these little moments of discovery? And...did I really want to relinquish the control over the content to which he is exposed?
(Yes, I'm picky in that regard. But that's my prerogative as a mother!)
But there was also the issue of attachment. My oldest has always been incredibly shy and a bit emotionally volatile. Since bringing him home from Guatemala at 12mos of age, I made it my primary goal to make sure he knew I was never going to leave him...that he could trust me...that I was his home-base. Leaving him with a babysitter was always painful for both of us, but how was I going to ask him to leave my side every single morning to walk into a strange building filled with strange faces. "He'll get over it soon enough!" I was advised. And in truth, he probably would have. Eventually. But something in my heart just recoiled at the thought of entrusting my precious, long-sought-after son to another adult - another woman - for 30+ hours a week.
So for us, the decision to homeschool has boiled down to one thing: My husband and I know our children, their needs, their fears, their weaknesses and their special talents better than anyone else on the planet. I happen to think that that makes us the most qualified of teachers for our children. My husband and I are uniquely equipped as their primary educators to teach our children because we are their parents. We don't need better credentials than that.
NB: Now, mind you - being the primary educator does not mean that we are the *only* qualified teachers that exist. But rather we are the ones with the grace to advocate the most strongly for these particular children we've been blessed with - and that means getting them help outside the home should they ever need it. Are we clear on that? Good.
The fact is, I really enjoy working with my kids. I love the fact that I am the one who has taught at least one child (so far) to read and make sense of numbers. I absolutely thrill at reading a book aloud to them and having them interrupt with a, "Mom! I think I know what's going to happen next!" I love that our day, our routine, our life is one of complete integration. Homeschooling is really just an extension of parenting for us. It's not easy, but it's as natural as it is to pick up and soothe a crying baby. We are not slaves to any curriculum or daily lesson plan, but I draw from their interests in determining what to study from year to year. When they study something that really interests them, they tend to really be interested in what they study. As their mom, I know what interests my boys so knowing what to study is easy. It's not all sunshine and lollipops, but it is a lot of fun! But more on that later...
I may not have all the academic credentials that qualifies me to teach a classroom full of children. I may not have taken a math course higher than Algebra 1. I may be just about the poorest excuse, academically speaking, for a teacher there is - but I am not aiming for academic excellence (not that homeschooling and academic excellence are mutually exclusive--more on that later...) but to get them to Heaven. For this family and in our current situation, homeschooling augments that effort.
Will it always be so? I don't know. I reserve the right to change my mind as the years go on. :) But I while my kids are small, we're doing all we can to hold them close. Homeschooling fosters a special closeness with my children...one in which I greatly revel.
10 comments:
Just beautiful, just a product of homeschooling myself (3-12) AND an adoptive mother that waited 11 yrs for my baby girl I agree with everything you said 110%. You conveyed your thoughts perfectly!
Beautiful. :)
Thanks for this post! It made me tear up. Neither my husband nor I were homeschooled, so I think the fact that it's a foreign concept to us makes it a bit tougher to embrace. But that's why I love reading others' perspectives on it! I'm going to make my husband read this too :)
I am so glad to hear you and your husband were both home schooled. It helps to see people who have thrived as a result. I have so many negative perceptions to renounce!
TO be perfectly honest, I am currently terrified of the topic. Rosie is of age to start pre-school and I have agreed to hs through kindergarten. Right now baby=exhaustion=I can't even fathom having enough patience to sit down with my child/children who (i feel) spend the day trying to drive me crazy (oh yeah...exhaustion).
I think fear is not a good enough reason to avoid it. There are many things I see as benefits. I just wrote 45 minutes into our schedule for pre-school. Starting soon we will try something.
I'm SO SO excited to be starting "real" homeschooling this year with M. I shouldn't say real since we finished the entire Teach Your Child to read in 100 Easy Lessons book when she was 3 1/2 and she reads like a 3rd grader. :)
So happy!! I haven't decided what we're doing for kdg yet but I know what we're doing this year for preschool!
Thank you so much for putting your thoughts and feelings to the blog world! I am still on the fence, we have wonderful catholic and public schools around us. But, those catholic homeschool curriculums are so beautiful...:)
Great post, coming from a Catholic school educator :)
I don't even have our babies yet, but am already dreading coming back to work. I so would love to stay at home with them so I can totally understand your desire to have them home with you, but we have to have insurance and DH is self employed :(
But, I will see them more often at school when they are here I guess, but would like the option of stayign at home and thinking about homeschool as an option.
I am reposting this as soon as I can. I had a decent public school education and we have good schools here but the Cath schools are as expensive as yours, and not that Cathoic! I get a lot of smarmy comments about how I didn't even finish college, what makes me think I can educate my child...
Thank you for putting in to words what I probably never could!
Awww I love this post! We homeschool our 5 year old too!
Post a Comment