Friday, September 9, 2011

How do you know if it's just the same old brokenness...or perimenopause?

I can't believe I'm asking this question.  *sob*  For the record, I'm 34.


I guess this more of a figurative question but I am genuinely curious. When one's body has never functioned the way it's supposed to in the first place, how does one know when certain symptoms are just par for the course of an aging infertile...or whether they are actually harkening the arrival of the great change of life?

Is there such a thing as "typical" for the approach of menopause for the infertile girl? It's been 3 years since my most recent lap with Dr. H and I know that I'm probably due for another on account of the endo, but I'm trying to avoid that altogether. The following are some new symptoms I've been having over the past 6-9 months.


  • Excessive brown-spotting 
By itself, this is not really newsworthy since I do have a history of endo but instead of TEBB, I now average 4-7 days of spotting before AF arrives...enough to require a pantyliner.


  • Lighter/shorter periods
Rather than my usual 4-5 day period, it's now around 2-3 days.  I only use a pad for one of those days and can get by with a pantyliner the rest of the time.

  • Cramping
Getting worse, though this is probably just a sign that I need another lap...which I am going to avoid at all costs. I'd rather pop Ibuprofen.

  • Acne 
I've never really struggled with this before but this past summer I have had a constant constellation of blemishes on my face. I never had it this bad even as a teen.

  • Breakthrough bleeding
So far, just one random episode this summer but it was the first time in my life this occurred.  Bright red, lasted several days and required a pad, not just a liner.  The episode just happened to coincide with my Pap smear so while I was there, my nurse practitioner sent me for an ultrasound which just showed a healthy uterus with appropriate build-up of lining for that part of my cycle (Day 17).

  • Weight gain
I suppose this is the result of multiple factors: the drug protocol I was on last year to induce lactation, my age, my lack of exercise since injuring my knee.  But I'm really struggling to just stay in my same pant size I've always worn.  It's becoming particularly noticeable around my tummy.



I'm so DONE with any further infertility treatments, but I'd like to know if there is something I can do to minimize the inconvenience or treat the root cause if that's even possible.  I don't chart anymore (aside from making note of bleeding on my personal calendar) and I'm otherwise feeling great.  No hot flashes, no mood swings (despite being off the hCG for over 2 years--yay!) no difficulty sleeping, no dry skin, etc.

I'm so intrigued by Sew's ambition and faithfulness with the Paleo diet. I have a hunch that at least some of my issues are diet-related. Has anyone see Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead (available on Netflix) or read any of Dr. Joel Furhman's stuff?  (I am on a long-wait list of these books at my local library).

If only I had the willpower to give a good, solid fast a shot.  Has anyone done one before?

9 comments:

Grace in my Heart said...

I had those same type of symptoms and they disappeared once I started taking an estrogen/progesterone regiment. When I wasn't taking enough estrogen (one dr. had me on a low dose), the symptoms returned. After I went to NIH, I was given the correct amount and the symptoms are gone again. Now, my periods stopped completely so I don't know if that helps you, but one way to find out if you're going into menopause is to have your FSH level checked. I'll be praying it is just diet/endo though and a quick fix!

Anonymous said...

I had the same symptoms (brown bleeding, breakthrough bleeding) and they went away when I restarted the over-the-counter progesterone cream. I would recommend it to anyone! It's a great non-surgical treatment for endo, too, and just good all around for women. It helps build bone mass, which is lost when you are estrogen-dominant. Always good :).
Definitely would recommend a primal/paleo diet. It's what I'm doing right now (with the exception of occasional dairy) to try and minimize my weight gain (I'm +15 lbs now) on the dom. I am trying not to lose weight while breastfeeding, but yeah, I'm feeling kinda gross...

Beth said...

No ideas, but it can't be perimenopause right?

I really want to see Fat Sick and Nearly Dead. I'll be watching that during naptime one day this week!

Blessed and Broken said...

We are the same age and I have many of the same issues (minus shorter periods).

Just for the record, the beginning range of "normal" menopause is 37. according to CrM you are not in the pre-menopause category until age 40. I would accredit it more hormones gone wild...which is the life of an infertile.

Sew said...

Sounds hormonal to me....

The only reason I had ambition is because I had a kid that I had to take care of, I needed to get off the couch. Thankfully, Thankfully, Thankfully, it worked in my favor! I never want to get off the paleo diet. :)

With that being said, if you don't have the same issues or deal with something that hinders your day I can see why it would be hard...


Mrs. Mikes, lard, it's what dreams are made of! :)- Rich, smooth and creamy! Mmmmm Good!

I made fried fish, with coconut milk sauce with seasoning and peas for dinner. It was soo good, so satisfying! I have tuna with grapes and celery and bannana for lunch, eggs and bacon for breakfast. So easy!

What I didn't realize was how addicted to sugar I really was....Sugar and Carbs...

Mrs. Mike said...

Thanks for the replies, ladies! I think I need to have a spiritual kick in the pants before I can make any serious dietary changes. I know I physically crave carbs and sugar but they are serve as emotional comfort too, KWIM? I need to pray for the grace to not succumb to the foods for their own sake. (Hello Gluttony!)

CMM--where do you get your OTC progesterone cream? I'm intrigued!

Beth--FSandND is fascinating! It's a documentary that talks about the body's ability to heal itself when the gut is given a rest from digesting. Energy is therefore reserved for healing and miraculous things start happening. It's really convincing but I have stopped short of going out to buy a juicer. I already own a VitaMix. I'm wondering if I could do achieve the same results with it? 'Course that would mean eating NOTHING but blended fruit and veggies for a month. *sob*

But maybe if it would solve my problems...

Anonymous said...

I buy mine at a compounding pharmacy in Annapolis Cape - Cape Drugs. $26 for a tube that lasts 3 months. Very cost effective!
Before doing a drastic fast or cleanse, I'd be inclined to do the intro Gaps diet, which is bone broths. Gapsdiet.com

Mrs. Mike said...

I've been tempted by the GAPS diet, but I kind of wanted to read the book first...to bad it's so hard to find. I need to email you a couple of questions about the progesterone cream!

Hebrews 11:1 said...

I don't really know of any advice but I hope the diet stuff helps! Sorry you are having to go through this.