Thursday, January 27, 2011

Turning a corner

This blog has been sorely neglected in recent months.  The truth is, I haven't had many/any coherent thoughts to share but perhaps more accurately, I just couldn't juggle it all.  I can report that life with a newborn is *totally* different than bringing home a 6mos or 12mos old.  Rather than immediately chasing a fast-moving crawling/toddling older baby and baby-proofing as we went, we found ourselves well.... just sitting a whole lot more.  Nursing.  Holding. Watching her as she slept.



Those early days and weeks were so sweet and wonderful as she acclimated to life outside the womb and we acclimated to having a new little person in our home.  She was in my arms/sling almost constantly and there were many days that I just couldn't manage a shower and dinner was PB&J...again.  Homeschooling the boys took a hit but we just had to embrace a relaxed approach to it all.  Lots of books were read aloud from the couch while I nursed her and we just haven't stressed about what we're not "getting done".   My house was in a constant state of disarray, every room was cluttered and in sore need of a vacuum and a dust cloth.  I could do nothing about it but look at it all from the couch where I was holding her.  I took a big step back from any commitments at the church, social or otherwise and basically just hunkered down as I found my "sea legs" so to speak.


It was hard, but blissfully peaceful.


But she has just hit 5mos and is now sleeping for longer (and more regular) stretches of sleep...and not always in my arms.  I'm actually showering every day (though often not until late morning) and the vacuum has actually been out of the hall closet twice this past week.  (that's a recent record)

I feel like things are turning a corner around here and I can look around my house and not be overwhelmed by the housework that's just wasn't getting done.  In fact, the house is actually looking decent (lived-in, mind you, but not the embarrassingly chaotic mess that just comes with having a newborn).  I've even been doing a bit of sewing again and dinners are more than just the heat-and-serve meals from Trader Joe's.

But this new freedom comes at a price.  S doesn't "need" me like she used to.  She's becoming more and more content to be out of my sling and enjoys a little floor time now and then.  I can make dinner while she watches me from the bouncy seat.  We can play a family board game while she watches on from her Jumperoo.



It's such a bittersweet thing to watch her move further and further away from those newborn days.  I am trying to savor each and every moment knowing how fast it really does go and that I may never experience it again.



In the mean time, it feels so good to be back...to be once again enjoying some of the hobbies I love.  I am loving the ages all my children are at right now so much.  My 8yr old is making huge strides in reading and math and is really impressing DH and I at how capable he really is in helping around the house.  He frequently gets the baby out of her crib and brings her downstairs for me and can pick her up and comfort her when she cries.  My 5yr old is a precocious little thing who is largely working on the same math and reading level as his brother...self-taught no less.  (Talk about two ends of the spectrum!)  He knows to run for the burp cloth as soon as he hers the baby make that juicy noise and grabs a Lact-aid from the fridge when she's crying and needs to be fed.  Both boys are so tender and gentle with her and like to remind me every day how much they love her and how God answered their prayers for another baby.

They choose to kneel during the family rosary
...I swear I don't put them up to it!


And the baby...let me just say that this is THE best age!  She's engaging and "talking" to us and just lights up a room with her smile.  And she smiles often and at everyone.  We've started using baby signs with her (we had huge success doing this with our boys) and she readily signs for "nurse".  I could go on and on talking about her but I'll spare you.  Suffice it to say that she is just a dream of a baby and I am still pinch myself that she's here.  With us.  Part of our family.


14 comments:

... said...

I can't believe how big she is now! That is such a sweet picture of the boys, too. I know they are awesome brothers.

Thankful said...

You so perfectly describe the chaos currently in our home. :-) Thanks for the hidden reminder to savor these little moments.

Julie said...

I love the update! Your whole family is beautiful!
Our Bella is a few months ahead of your daughter and I sometimes miss the days behind us, but I have to tell you this...life with her gets better every day!!

Awaiting a Child of God:) said...

This post made me so happy. What a precious family you have:):):) I love hearing how grateful you are for all these many blessings.

Karey said...

What a beautiful post! S is getting so big and is just so adorable. And I love that your boys kneel on their own. Ahh!

And it's easy to think I'm the only one with clutter and vacuuming that needs to be done, so thanks for reminding me that I'm perfectly normal :)

Heather said...

This post just brought tears to my eyes. Such a beautiful family! She is growing up so fast!

Blessed and Broken said...

:- ) I just love watching your family grow! I can remember early pictures of I with...was it a dinosaur hood, or something? It just seems like yesterday he was the most adorable little toddler. Now, to look at your big boys taking care of your beautiful S. Sniff Sniff. God is so good!

Grace in my Heart said...

Oh she is just darling and the boys sound so precious helping out with their new baby sister. I just love, love, love your sweet family! :) Hugs to you all!

WheelbarrowRider said...

I loved reading this! The time does go by so fast and we have to savor those newborn moments. With Charlie, I recall I thought that each stage was the best until the next, which I then though was the best. :) I love your beautiful growing family!

Hebrews 11:1 said...

Good to hear from you, glad you are doing well! She is growing like CRAZY!! Your children are so beautiful.

E said...

Your family is so beautiful and a witness to LIFE. You are an amazing mom! That times with a newborn goes so fast, it seems unfair. My little E is just a couple months ahead of S, and I agree, it is the best time!!

Leila@LittleCatholicBubble said...

That beautiful girl!! Oh, my!

And those precious, kneeling boys! I want to take lessons from you!

Katie @ Persevere in Prayer said...

You have a such a beautiful family! God has truly blessed you :)

Beth said...

Beautiful kids. Time for an update ;)