Sunday, July 4, 2010

Homestudy complete

This week concluded our homestudy process--the social worker is writing up the report this weekend and promised us a rough draft by Tuesday (since Monday is technically a holiday). My Dad's passing last month interfered with ours scheduled plans to meet up with the social worker but we finally did so twice this past week--once on Thursday night at a coffee shop for the individual interviews and then again yesterday morning (bright and early at 8am) for the home-visit.

We've been through this twice before, but I keep forgetting how non-threatening these interviews really are. The questions are always very open and general ("what does a typical day in your home look like?" or "how are have you been preparing the boys for the arrival of a new sibliing?") but we know they can ask--and have a right to inquire about--any question they'd like regarding religious, health, educational, discipline choices we've made and such. While we have nothing to hide, I don't enjoy discussing intimate details of our family life and personal philosophies with a stranger--especially one who technically has the power to approve or deny us the ability to parent another child.

No such questions came up but there is always a big sigh of relief when the interview is over...no matter how innocuous the questioning or squeaky clean our histories. Perhaps it's my pride, but I hate the fact that indifferent third parties have the ultimate say in deciding who is "fit" to parent and who isn't. Good people who would make great parents can be denied on a whim. It's not a perfect system by any stretch.

The homestudy process is a humbling experience. There's no doubt about it.

As though all the doctor's visits and time spent in the stirrups was not humiliating enough during the IF workup, adopting also requires you to bear your heart and soul in an equally vulnerable way. Various agencies, police departments and government officials must be adequately convinced that your home is a safe environment to place a child. And the only way to do that is the scrutinize every aspect of one's life from explicit financial situation to our families of origin, from intimate medical histories to police clearances in every state and county you've ever lived.

Now I've long since come to terms with the invasive nature of the homestudy process as a "necessary evil"--there are indeed evil people in the world who do not have the child's best interest in mind. I don't have a philosophical objection to the fingerprinting, the questioning and the scrutiny per se...it's a privilege to be able to parent a non-biological child and safe guards need to be set up to protect the child and scrutinize the safety of the home to which the child will be placed.

But there's an irony in all of this...

I can remember during our first adoption 8 years ago...I was working as a L&D nurse at an inner city hospital where prenatal care was very low and intact families very rare. Drug use was rampant and more than one "baby daddy" had to be escorted from the unit for being high. I can remember delivering the babies of 14 and 15 year olds and handing them over to them without so much as a visit from a social worker or parenting class before discharge...and yet here DH and I were getting background checks and police reports and letters of references written on our behalf just so that we could go on a waiting list for a child.

The homestudy is necessary and we happily oblige but that doesn't mean that it's an easy process for any of the parties involved. We are breathing a collective sigh of relief now that the brunt of the work and scrutiny is behind us and eagerly await the report that makes us officially paper-ready to parent.

Or as DH calls it, "paper-trained".

Happy 4th of July!

12 comments:

Kathryn said...

Yes it is an odd thing to go through, isn't it? I am glad it is all done for you now!

Oh, and I LOVED your last post, too!

Jeremiah 29:11 said...

Oh, I can so relate. It truly is worth it but so incredibly humbling!! Can't wait to hear more about this next adoption!

Kaitlin @ More Like Mary said...

Wow-the most ironic of ironies. I'm so glad it's completed!

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! You must be so relieved.

We'll be having the last visit on Wed so we'll hopefully be able to celebrate along side you some time soon.

You're right about it being humbling. I feel the same way - our sw is also very lovely but I still feel anxious whenever we meet.

Anonymous said...

Ha, "paper-trained"! I love it :).

Glad you're all done with the homestudy - I am still so nervous about the whole process, mostly the interviews. Mainly because of my childhood/parent's divorce, etc. How deeply do they go into that stuff I wonder?

mrsblondies said...

I'm glad that your homestudy is done. That must be a huge relief. It is a bit crazy that there isn't a bit more done to help biological parents and make sure that they can be fit parents, when so much is required for adoptive parents.

E said...

I am so sorry to hear of your dad's passing, I didn't realize that!

I am glad to hear the homestudy is complete. Isn't it amazing what we are asked to do to bring new life into our families? What an example we are to others. Prayers that everything continues to go smoothly.

Blessed and Broken said...

Yay! I knew you would be done sooner than you thought. Did you make the home study cinnamon rolls?? I skipped them for our foster hs (though my mouth was watering for them). :)

And...yes, I hate the inquiries from strangers and discussing the painful past...grrr.

BUt I can't wait to hear the news....august is coming very very soon!

Leila@LittleCatholicBubble said...

I am happy that is over for you! And yes, it is a strange and ironic thing.

Again, so sorry about your father. I will pray for him and your whole family.

Grace in my Heart said...

Ohhh yes! The homestudy is so annoying, but I'm so glad it's done for you! What an incredible blessing! Yay!!!

Meg @ True, Good and Beautiful said...

Congratulations on completing it! We know how you feel; we've definitely been humbled through our adoption experience! Can't wait to hear more!

Mrs. Mike said...

CMM--they can technically ask you any ol' question they want to determine whether your home would be a good environment to place a child. Depending on your histories/autobiographies, they could ask you to comment on any number of topics. But truly, in our experience, they never really go beyond the open-ended general questions. We weren't even asked about our methods of discipline which was a bit of a surprise...I thought certain we'd be grilled on that given our experience with a 7 and 4 yo at home.

E--No cinnamon rolls this time! I had no time and no ambition to do more than just generally getting the house cleaned and generally clutter-free. I figured third time around, I could get away without the "olfactory augmentation". :)