Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The "good Catholic family"

From Karen Edmisten:

A Good Catholic Family

We see five kids, or six … or seven. Maybe one on the way. And we know. That’s a good Catholic family.

And they certainly are. Their openness to life is an apparent and beautiful witness. But what of those families whose children number only one, two or three*? Are we to surmise anything about them?

The question is more than hypothetical for many. My husband and I, for example, strive to be faithful Catholics, to live out all the teachings of the Faith, including those on marriage and children. We have three children -- on earth. In Heaven there are six other souls whom I hope to meet someday. As we have suffered through miscarriages we have gained powerful prayer warriors in Heaven, but our large family isn't visible to the world. This is painfully clear every time I am confronted by the issue. The questions range from well-meaning to thoughtless (though never, I am certain, ill-willed):

"Do you want more?"
"Are you going to try for a boy?"
"Three? You need more!"

Awhile back I met a friend’s mother, and the conversation turned to children. I had two children at the time and I proudly rattled off my daughters' names and ages. She smiled politely. When another guest mentioned her five children, my acquaintance lit up. "That's wonderful!" she said. "So few people have that many these days!"

Ouch. She didn't mean to hurt me, but her words stung as surely as if she’d slapped me on the cheek. I had just lost a baby two weeks prior. I wanted to shout, "I want more -- I have more! They're in Heaven -- does that count?"

Of course she’d have been horrified to know that her words hurt me and of course I said nothing. Charity often demands silence. And it's worth noting that some of my reaction stems from pride. In the presence of people who value life I want them to know that I value it dearly, too. My openness to life is hidden in Heaven with my babies who (I hope and trust) pray daily for their mother to be less prideful and more able to handle the little stings that come her way. But still ... still ....

It hurts to be judged, yet it can be a vital wake-up call to not judge others. A few years ago I similarly judged an acquaintance. When I overheard her being asked about more children, I dismissed her curt response as that of one who is closed to life. I later found out that she’d been unable to conceive again, and I was jolted back to the reality of my own pain and my uncharitably quick judgment.

"Therefore, do not make any judgment before the appointed time, until the Lord comes, for He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will manifest the motives of our hearts" -- 1 Corinthians, 4:5

I was reminded not to judge by the visible number of children. Good Catholic families come in all sizes and "only" one, two or three children may be the visible sign of parents who have suffered.

Conversely, families with many children can struggle in their own ways with openness to life. Occasionally, mothers-of-many can, during difficult or overwhelming times, feel just as "closed" to life as those who don’t understand Catholic teachings on contraception. It seems a cruel irony that a woman with eight children yells at God for the latest positive pregnancy test on the same day that another woman blames Him for the loss of her baby.

It is not a cruel irony, but a holy one. Only the Lord knows exactly what we need -- He is purifying each of us in His own way, allowing what He knows to be best, as we struggle to understand His movement in our lives.

And so, I turn to Him each day, both to understand His will for our family, and to ask for the grace to avoid judging others unfairly. Having struggled on both sides of the issue, I can say that perhaps the best response, when we hear, "Kids? Yes, we have two," is a simple, "And what blessings they must be!" Then, let's pray for one another. Now, that’s a sign of a good Catholic family.

*or none at all


This is a topic near and dear to my heart and one that I've made reference to previously. I happened to stumble across this article this morning as I was up early with the onset of CD1 cramps. I have encountered this kind of sentiment over and over in our little Catholic circle of friends. Now perhaps I'm just sensitive, given my lot in life, but I have always fought to urge to lash out at these people who assume that more kids=holier families. Perhaps this kind of attitude could be construed as reasonable given the kind of culture we live in--the kind to which Sew makes reference.

But I have observed a tendency for some Catholics (especially in the homeschooling community--of which I am a part) who are fighting the culture of death to sometimes perhaps forget that being generous with children and openness to life is about more than just having lots and lots of children. Now, I'm not knocking lotsa families--Lord knows I wish I could be one of them! I'm the product of a large family myself and I know first hand--at least as one of 7 children who grew up in a small 3BR house--having a large family today *is* heroic.

Among some of our friends and even family, I see that there is a tendency to...well, brag about the number of children they have simply for it's shock value--having 8 kids today is quite scary to the average American--or even for the purpose of "one-up'ing" each other, particularly in front of clergy. ("She may have six children, but Father I had TEN!") Now on many levels, their bragging rights are well-earned but come on! Children can't and shouldn't be reduced to badges on a Parenting Scout sash: the more you have the higher you rank.

But let me get to the heart of the matter of why this topic stings for me. Recently, I have been painting like a mad woman around the house. I've been sewing drapes and hanging pictures on walls and just generally giving certain rooms in our home a face-lift. After all, we have an extra person we are preparing for this summer and a homestudy coming up soon--I have good reason to make our home warm and welcoming. I was standing with some friends and acquaintances from our homeschool group and someone mentioned all the work I've been doing around the house. One of the moms--a mom of 7 who particularly likes to blame her tired, haggard appearance all "on those kids"-- spoke up and laughed, "Well that's because she only has two children and no nursing babies!"

Ouch.

Now I'm sure she meant no ill and I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt--perhaps she wishes she could get even one of her rooms painted in her home--but I wanted to tell her, "do you know how gladly I'd give up the ability to paint and decorate on a whim in favor of having the distraction of a quiverful?"

But I didn't.

I write about this not because I want to stick it those fertile families, but as a reminder to all of us--myself included--that frequently, there is far more to any given person's story and history than we can assume just by looking at them.

15 comments:

Kaitlin @ More Like Mary said...

What an excellent post. Something we ALL need to remember.

Anonymous said...

wow, i loved that story! thank you for sharing. this is something that i too have been writing/thinking about lately. "how will anyone KNOW we're good Catholics??" we can't use children like that and they'll know by our other actions...

Maygy said...

Thanks for sharing this - and for your own comments. I can so relate -- it can be frustrating feeling the urge to defend and explain your family all the time. and it brings up so many good points to think about...

Percolating Petals said...

Thanks for posting the excellent article; I remember re-reading it when it appeared on Catholic Exchange. The author brings up a point that all of us IF girls have learned the hard way: each child is a gift, no matter the number. Even in the Catholic world, there is a reverence for large families that can at times go overboard. Your acquaintance's words (though unintentional) are stinging.

To say that your boys are "only two..." completely misses the gift and uniqueness of each soul. An acquaintance once scoffed at the "wow, that's small" size of my family (3 kids). I told him how long it took my mom to get pregnant and he quickly shut up!

mrsblondies said...

Great post! We definitely should not judge based on the size of someone's family since we don't know the circumstances involved.

Chasing said...

Thanks for posting about this subject. I have often thought about it. The catholic group here in IL and the one we left in MD often treats children as steps on the "how good of a catholic are you?" ladder. I pretty much avoid a lot of the women here that dh (dh went to grad school here, so still has a lot of friends around) is friends with because they won't really talk to me, except to talk about their kids and how hard their lives are. I'm sure it is difficult and I realize that I don't understand, but honestly? One of dh's closest female friends here (her husband was in our wedding) had no idea what my job was until a year after we moved here. She never bothered to ask, so I just remained silent.

Little JoAnn said...

This is a beautiful and truth filled post. Yes, yes, yes, each child is a unique GIFT and should never be a badge of pride into some kind of exclusive club. The sting of IF is yet again felt when we are surrounded by those who have been fortunate to have large families. Ouch...it just is so misunderstood by so many. Thank you for putting it into words. It sounds like your house is becoming quite a lovely setting. What a wonderful Mom you are!

Second Chances said...

This is such a great post and a topic that I've been meaning to post on myself. I had major problems with this as I have one son and experienced 7 years of secondary IF. We got questions ALL THE TIME like "don't you want more?" and felt very unincluded with certain groups as well, especially homeschoolers. They don't mean too, and we probably read way more into it because we were so sensitive, but it was at times an obvious separation. Like I said, I'll have to write a post!

Leila@LittleCatholicBubble said...

Wow! This is excellent! And as someone who has "goofed" in this regard, I am glad you are exposing it, and educating us. I have eight kids and some of this really struck me.... I need to write a post on my thoughts! Thank you!

T said...

This is a great post, indeed! Thank you so much for this.

WheelbarrowRider said...

So glad you posted this, I needed to hear it. We are all guilty of judging, whether the size of a family (big or small) or some other topic. Its a much needed and timely reminder for me-thank you!

Anonymous said...

Good point. That comment was insensitive and not a little arrogant. I get that from time to time from new moms too - comments that I have energy and time because I don't have a little one. I try to offer it up - for them!

Martha Long said...

This is a wonderful post and reminder to all of us -- even those of us who have never been blessed with children. I definitely can relate to this.

On another note, I am so glad to hear that things are progressing with your adoption. I will keep praying for you.

Hebrews 11:1 said...

Amen amen amen! I always feel this way! I wonder sometimes if people are judging us because we have no kids. People often mean well with what they say but that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt.

doctorgianna said...

Thanks for this post. I'm putting it on my favorite posts list.