Sunday, January 6, 2013

20+C+M+B+13

A centuries-old tradition associated with today's feast is a house blessing families may invoke and write in chalk over their front door. Fr. Mark writes:

The letters have two meanings. They are the initials of the traditional names of the Three Magi: Caspar, Melchior and Balthasar. They also abbreviate the Latin words Christus mansionem benedicat. May Christ bless the house.” The letters recall the day on which the inscription is made, as well as the purpose of blessing.
The crosses represent the protection of the Precious Blood of Christ, Whose Sacred Name we invoke, and also the holiness of the Three Magi sanctified by their adoration of the Infant Christ.
The inscription is made above the front door, so that all who enter and depart this year may enjoy God's blessing. The month of January still bears the name of the Roman god Janus, the doorkeeper of heaven and protector of the beginning and end of things. This blessing "christens" the ancient Roman observance of the first month. The inscription is made of chalk, a product of clay, which recalls the human nature taken by the Adorable and Eternal Word of God in the womb of the Virgin Mary, by the power of the Holy Spirit. 
To bless your home this Epiphany, first read the Prologue of Saint John's Gospel, followed by the Our Father, and the Collect of the Epiphany; then write the inscription for this year above your front door with blessed chalk.

Did your parish pass out the blessed chalk for this purpose? If not, you can ask you priest to bless some for you or in a pinch, any old chalk will do along with this blessing.



I've also heard tell of children leaving their shoes out (again!) the night before the feast of the Epiphany and the three kings visit with (yet more!) little treats. And that camels appreciate a little grass or straw in said shoes. We've never done this but I think the idea is wonderful. Unless of course your kids (like mine) are already in a post-Christmas sugar coma.

Finally, these sweet stories also lend themselves nicely to the feast of Epiphany for little ones.






 Happy Feast of the Epiphany!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, our associate pastor blessed chalk after Mass last night, and there was a bi-lingual insert in the bulletin with instructions, same as last year. We are so fortunate to have the faithful priests that we do who teach us about and encourage us to take part in lesser-known, but nonetheless valuable, rituals such as this.

Thanks for posting this - I had forgotten to do this today! Off now to rectify. :-)

Julie said...

yes...our parish had blessed chalk and we (Andrew) does the blessing each year.

post Christmas sugar coma is right, but it is me, not the kids since I eat all their candy

Sew said...

I don't think I'm catholic! Teach me! LOL I never knew about this until the blogs! ahhhhh!

Mrs. Mike said...

Hey...I am learning right along with you.

All in His Perfect Timing said...

So neat! I've seen the numbers + letters & wondered what the heck it meant. Now I know!!! ;-)

silverbeetle said...

Love this post! They used to do this in my sister's town in Germany... kids dressed up as the 3 Kings, a priest accompanied them, and blessed / marked each house on their route. But I didn't realize the +s meant something too. Thanks for posting!

Unknown said...

Love it! My parish passed out baggies with the blessed chalk and prayer stapled to it last year (2012) but didn't have it this year. I think last year a parish ministry must have made that happen, like the women's group. Anyway, thanks for a great post, lovely photos, and book recommendations! Bookmarking this for a couple weeks from now (it will feel like) when it's Epiphany again! Time sure is flying these last few years.