Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Jamestown

I take for granted the fact that we live in such a historically rich area, at least in terms of American history. We migrated from the midwest to the greater Washington DC area over a decade ago.

Of course we take our out-of-town guests to all the usual haunts: the monuments and memorials of DC and Baltimore.

That's my oldest when he was 1 (circa spring 2004)
--oh, my heart! Was he ever that small?

Basilica of the Immaculate Conception - DC
My second oldest at 11mos (circa summer 2006)
And yes, we've been a number of times to Philadelphia, New York, Gettysburg and the Colonial Triangle in Virginia. Heck, we even honeymooned in Williamsburg.

Colonial Williamsburg

But my knowledge of US history has always been rather...fuzzy. The last time I studied - really studied - American history in earnest was I think 4th grade. I admit that my ability to explain the significance of certain historical landmarks, people, battles etc. has been shaky at best. I've embarrassed myself by my pitiful lack of knowledge more times than I can count.

So imagine the joy - relief! - in finally immersing ourselves into a subject that has held a certain amount of mystery for me especially in recent years. I am once again able to study this topic in depth and with great interest--this time, right along with my children. And the beauty of homeschooling allows us the ability to follow whatever rabbit trails our interests may take us.

I have no specific goals for this year in terms of topics or particular event or time in American history we must cover. We'll go at our own pace and get as far as we get. We've simply cast our sails and will go as far as the wind blows and interest remains until May/June 2013.


We decided on a chronological approach to history beginning with the European discovery of the American continent. Since we subscribe largely to a Charlotte Mason approach to learning (focusing on people and events through the use of living books rather than textbooks) we are loosely following the literature recommendations from Beautiful Feet as our history spine this year.

We began our year by reading together the following books:










...and watched a number of historical documentaries on the Vikings, Columbus and Jamestown on Netflix. 

They narrate (oral retelling) daily and dictate (I type what they tell me) weekly the events and stories we're reading in their own words. They do this rather than worksheets or tests as a means of gauging what and how much they are learning and understanding. (Plus, it makes for some fun reading in later years!)


We consults maps and a globe to see just how far the Nina, the Pinta and the Santa Maria traveled in 1492. Their daily copywork (handwriting practice) is tied into the people we're studying. I just make these up on the fly using clipart or images I can find on google.


They draw pictures or color prints. 


I keep all these loose papers in a 3-ring binder with the hope (ideally) that they will create their very own homemade "textbook" by the end of the year.


Then last Thursday, we packed the van and drove south on I-95 to visit and see up close and firsthand the site of the first successful English colony: Jamestown. 







Now make no mistake...we've been here before. Several times in fact.

circa 2007
But this was the first time they really saw Jamestown. Lived it. Breathed it. Imagined themselves in the moccasins of Pocahontas and the armor of John Smith (who by the way, was NOT romantically involved with Pocahontas, no matter what the Disney film suggests.)

September 2012



My baby turned 7 on the same day we visited historic Jamestown


As we walked away, my 9 year old held my hand and said, "Mom, every other time we came here, I never really understood why you brought us all this way. I understand now! Jamestown is awesome!"

I don't think I'll ever forget those words. 

I hope they never forget this experience.

I look forward to re-discovering with them all the many other sites that we live near as we work our way through the story of the birth of our nation.


And now...on to the Pilgrims...



















11 comments:

Blessed and Broken said...

awesome. you/this inspires me.

All in His Perfect Timing said...

That is so neat ... Being able to visit where everything happened. I would like to visit all the historic sites myself someday ... Never been farther East than Illinois. Unless you count Florida, but that's still the other end of the country from this.
LOVE the pics of your "little" boys in armor then a "today" shot!!!!! So cute !!

Sew said...

I was thinking about homeschool the other day and you! LOL I was thinking how lucky you are to be near DC for this simple reason. I was also planning a field trip in my head...What we would do, where we would go, would we stay in DC etc.... :) My kid is almost 2...So in the next 4-6 years I hope to be galavanting around DC with my babies....So excited! You are definitely in rich history right at your finger tips. :)

You can come here when you get into the slavery part of history... :) Its fascinating...I think. Tragic, but fascinating.

We had our rehearsal dinner in Gettysburg...Loved it! Crab cakes were divine! :) Best ever, actually!

Sew said...

Oh and we can play on 11 acres! :) hahahaha And in the pool then visit civil rights museums and beautiful cotton fields with eerie depth....! :) LOLLL

Anonymous said...

I love those pics of your little guys when they were tots - oh my, the chub on #2 there is adorable!!!

Beth said...

I'm coming too!

Mrs. Mike said...

Sew, I know a place you could stay if/when you ever take said trip to this area. ;) And I will take you up on the offer to come visit your neck of the woods if we ever get there. :)

CMM--tell me about it. He actually weighed less than Baby Girl at that age, but he was shorter and therefore more "compact". He looks so fat he's about to burst, doesn't he?!

Beth--come along!

Leila@LittleCatholicBubble said...

You are amazing, and what a beautiful family!

Hebrews 11:1 said...

Neat! So awesome you are so close to all those great historical areas and can share that with your little ones. :)

E said...

so cool to be able to experience history!! miss you!

Anonymous said...

[b][url=http://www.uggsbootsoutletshop.co.uk/]ugg boots uk[/url][/b] In . From advantage to ensure that you simply shop moreover to from capital to sleep and in many cases breakfast, resorts all through Venice integrate jointly common small business property furthermore specific hotelsYou are unable to wish to provide louis vuitton outlet on the web shop your credit rating Police drive Sunglasses. This informative report hopes to produce you with louis vuitton purses and handbags having an comprehension concerning the induce louis vuitton keep why Oakley sunglasses stands over the rest in relation to similarly present day and simple sunlight shades.

[b][url=http://www.cheapuggbootssalenow.co.uk/]ugg boots cheap[/url][/b] The Russians under no circumstances obtained an ample supply, and experienced a huge selection of a large number of casualties. Death came inside a matter of times, because of to insufficient oxygen brought on by pulmonary edema--the lungs crammed up with fluids plus the victims drowned inside their possess secretions. A person helpful treatment was therapeutic phlebotomy: surgeons cut a vein and pumped out 20- twenty five ounces of blood..

[b][url=http://www.shippingonlineplaza.com/]louis vuitton bags[/url][/b] -Children tend not to have to have a lot of high-priced toys. Significantly, imagine of that industrial with the costly toy plus the toddler together with the box the high-priced toy came in. That child performs with all the BOX, not the toy! A the latest trip into the toy keep built us chortle.
Auspiciously for the majority of people, tag duplicate devices came in to the actual web site and additionally complete the move. Even if it rrs unveiled that bogus is viewed as being a kind of flattery, now this prevalence inside a preferred kinds arena will not be therefore extremely fascinating towards searching bags couturiers and even company holders. Expressly most women, now you've got an on the spot several with the a large variety of conveniences.

[b][url=http://www.luxurybrandonsale.com/]louis vuitton outlet[/url][/b] In addition, this personal during the party possess untamed comprise infants,Mentor Manufacturing facility Outlet discover about commonly aren't normally associated with regarded that. As a rule,Low-cost Gucci Handbags Prada napkin hand bags tend to be quite possibly the most genuinely high-priced involved with Prada sacs creating use of bills you'll be able to find at $250-$3000. Check out, I presented to everyone, Reciproque! Generating its attract together with five outlets, the next stockroom involved with designer brand name locations will probably be really worth searching throughout for a few of numerous hrs..
The Xzillaraider gives its energy by carefully altering several distinct parameters. 1) Fuel rail strain, which puts far more pressure versus the injector nozzle which will help to atomize the gas far better and build a finer mist with all the gas to ensure the oxygen molecules can blend with the gas and burn off extra of it, which consecutively provides greater market and much more power. two) Injection timing, when incorporating far more gas, some time that the gas is injected into your engine need to be a little bit altered to get the full good thing about including additional gas, so for most instances the fuel is going to be injected slightly faster than it normally would.