Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Christmas Novena

This prayer has become a bit of a family tradition in our home. Our boys are now old enough to remember saying this novena from year to year and for some reason, the rhythm of the words make it easy for them to memorize. I recall my own father--God rest his soul--leading the family in this prayer each Advent after the family Rosary. Fond memories indeed. So many graces to be had.

The novena starts today on the Feast of St. Andrew and ends on Christmas Eve. Traditionally, you recite the prayer 15 times each day for the 25 days leading up to Christmas. Of course there are promises attached to any novena, but the prayer lends itself nicely to Advent and guiding our thoughts and our hearts toward that Holy Night where the greatest of all blessings was bestowed. 

Head over to JOYfilled Family if you would like to print out a beautiful copy of her free printable novena cards.



It is piously believed that whoever recites the above prayer fifteen times a day from the 
feast of St. Andrew (30th November) until Christmas will obtain what is asked.

6 comments:

Chasing said...

I love this novena, too. Happy Advent!

All in His Perfect Timing said...

I am praying this Novena too! I missed it last year.
How wonderful that your children will have a special memory to share of participating in this Novena when they get older!

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful!

E said...

we are doing this, too. Very peaceful! Check out my blog, you have an award!

WheelbarrowRider said...

Former prayer buddy and friend, I have nominated you for a Liebster award on my blog so check it out when you get a minute. Sending you much love! j

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to do this Novena but I keep missing days, and when I try again I feel bad, as if I'm cheating... :/ It's beautiful, though!