Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Turning 5

He feels like a grown up to me now.

Five?

How did that happen? Wasn't it just the other day we got this photo in our email asking if we were willing to accept his referral?




Before long, he was home




and filled our lives




Where our oldest tends toward being melancholic and introverted, our brand new 5 year old is sanguine and extroverted. If the candy is good enough, he'd walk away happily with any stranger. (Scares me to death!) He is good natured and still enjoys our morning cuddles. Somehow, I can't say no to his requests to finish my coffee.

I wish so much I could bottle this time. Freeze frame life. I love his little lisp and his vivid imagination. I love the swords and pirate roll-playing. I love that he can recite the Apostles Creed by heart and will lead the entire family rosary if we let him. He wants so much to learn the read and "do school" like his older brother and so we indulge him and he is excelling in every subject. (Totally different story with his older brother, let me tell you!) He woke up this morning clutching his birthday $2 bill he'd gotten in the mail and declared, "I love money!" and proceeded to count all the money in his wallet and figured out that he had enough to buy a pizza.

Happy birthday sweet boy! It so sad to say goodbye to our 4 year old but we look forward with excitement toward all that your 6th year of life holds in store for you!





Special thanks to GIMH, Jeremiah 29 and TBHW for coming over the other night for a lovely little (and too brief) visit!

17 comments:

... said...

Happy B'day to him! I love those little chub rolls. What a sweetie.

Karey said...

What a cutie!! Happy birthday! And did you MAKE that cake? It's amazing!

Megan said...

Happy birthday to him! He is so cute! I was thinking the same thing as AYWH, did you make that cake?! It's awesome!

WheelbarrowRider said...

You have the most adorable children! I would kill to be able to make amazing cakes like that-my mom always could and I will never forget the love she put into each and every one of them! Good thing my son likes cookies and not cake-those I can do! lol!

Jeremiah 29:11 said...

Happy Birthday!! What a GREAT cake! :)

Joy Complete said...

Such a cutie! I'm so sad I didn't get to meet the boys the other night, but we will have to plan something soon. Love those pictures of the chubby little baby.

Leila@LittleCatholicBubble said...

I've just fallen in love with your son!!!!!

My little boy turned four today. :)

Thankful said...

Happy Birthday to him! Oh, the first picture melted my heart... and the last one made my tummy grumble.

A Martha trying to be Mary said...

What beautiful children!! I am so very happy to see your family and read about your latest adoption.

I live in Mexico and I love what I think are his Latin American eyes!! Was he adopted here in the region?

Grace in my Heart said...

What a little cutie! I love how he and his brother excitedly opened the front door of your house for me. How fun to meet your gang! Love your cake and Happy Birthday to your little man! :)

alliemich said...

Feliz Cumpleanos!!!! What an ADORABLE picture of him with the rolls, I do love a fat baby :)

Elizabeth in Wisconsin said...

What a handsome little man! And what a cool cake!

Sew said...

What a little chunkers! So cute! Happy B day!

Mrs. Mike said...

Thanks so much--I got the idea for the cake here:
http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/pirate-ship-cake-686286/

To Martha: my older boys are from Guatemala. :)

Mrs. Mike said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Awaiting a Child of God:) said...

Holy chunkers:) I LOVE HIM! I just want to pinch his cheeks!

Anonymous said...

He is beautiful Mrs Mike!